Virtual Workspace Service Engineer
Oil & Gas
This engineering role is in the Virtual Workspace Service (VWS) team, based in Rijswijk (NL).
VWS provides a remote High-end Technical Workstation service to our technical users that is accessed through a high-end thin client protocol (HP RGS). It is a mixed environment of Linux and Windows based clients. The user access to the different desktops is managed using a session broker (Leostream).
The VWS team is split in 3 teams (Operations, Engineering and Deployment) and currently consists of 16 people divided over 3 locations (Rijswijk, Houston and Bangalore).
The primary role of the Virtual Workspace Service (VWS) engineer is to:
As part of Engineering team develop and improve current and future VWS environment(s) on daily bases:
• Expanding the service by developing new environments based on new technologies (Dev/Ops based work)
• Improving/supporting current operational environment
• Work on cloud related projects (AWS/Azure) focusing on visualization.
• Assist/coach the Operations team with operating VWS specific services on a day-to-day basis.
Technologies used (among others)
• HPE Blades
• Linux (RedHat)
• Windows 7/10
• KVM (Red Hat Virtualization)
• HP RGS
• Work fulltime (40 hours/week) and on-site
• Candidates must be able to work independently and as part of a global team
• Work effectively across cultural boundaries in a complex 24x7 environment
• Staying focused and achieving results in an at times stressful and changing environment
• Candidates must be able to balance operational service levels against above release management & project activities
Experience and Qualifications required
• Candidates must have a strong technical background in (technical) infrastructure service delivery on a global scale across Windows/Linux, high-performance computing and thin-client technologies (10+ years experience)
• In-depth Windows and/or Linux OS knowledge required
• Scripting/programming knowledge required (e.g. with either Perl, Python, Powershell, bash)
• Platform/host virtualization knowledge required (RedHat Virtualization is prefered)
• Network knowledge preferred
• Leostream/HP RGS/Ansible/Zabbix knowledge preferred
• Cloud knowledge preferred (AWS, Azure, Kubernetes, Docker)
• Bachelor’s level education
• An understanding of the Subsurface business, workflows, tools and processes would be a plus
• ITIL IT management processes (ability to operate stringent Change, Incident, Problem, Request, Asset Management and Release Management regimes)
• Ability to prioritize, and make appropriate trade-offs
• Interface with customers, end-users and providers, maintaining effective relationships
• Ability to identify and realize opportunities for improvement
• Preferred Technical Project Lead experience, managing small projects involving multiple technical disciplines and/or participating in large projects delivering solutions for Upstream.
Please send us asap your recent CV (Word) + a motivation for this role, both in English, together with your availability/planned vacations and all-in hourly rate VAT excluded.